Sunday, September 23, 2012

Making it Real

We met with our supervisors today.  Dr. Senesie is a thin, unassuming man of British influence and a great sense of humor. He is currently the Director of the Education unit at Njala University and thrilled to have both Jessica and I coming on board (Jessica at the Bo campus and I at Njala main).  We discussed what we would be doing, where we would be staying, and made clear many of the expectations all parties had.  Our Peace Corps staff, by the way, orchestrated this perfectly so I think the comfort level amongst all was very high.  

I will be teaching only English classes to groups of approximately 150 students in the university’s auditorium…with fixed seating.  So much for collaboration, peer editing and such!  On top of that, it is unlikely that any of the students will be able to afford books (their tuition costs strap them terribly already) so, what has traditionally been done by previous instructors, is that the professor reads the text to the students and then helps them analyze it.  Imagine the benefit of being read Shakespeare like this to learn to read and write better. Hmm.  We’ll see about that.  

As one of the cats who inhabits the Administration building coming in and out as he pleases was taunting a little lizard, we  were told that books literally only cost a couple of American dollars each here so I could pick up an entire set of “Otello” for example for a mere $300.00.  I’ll know more about the reality of this when we get to site and down to business, but if any of you out there would want to donate a little money toward the cause, I can surely send you directions for the medium to get it here (which is NOT by mail).  I’m just not going to let these students go without materials but I also can’t purchase all of their books for them either.  More on that in a later blog…

After our meetings we relaxed out on the Atlantic beach with our Director and CEO.  Here is a shot of us after a supper of sandwiches and a little Star beer.  You might notice I’m wearing my WCU-Kildare’s t-shirt!  Thanks again, George and Bob!  The local brew is a far cry from what we are used to but it wet the whistle well enough!


We took a very short stroll along the water’s edge; it was short partly because the wind was blowing quite hard but moreover because even though we were in a large group there was a good chance we could be attacked by thieves who prey on unassuming folk at this end of the beach.  We headed back to the compound and the driver was pointing out all sorts of night spots along the strip but going out clubbing has never been much of an interest to me so I paid little attention and just enjoyed the ride.  

1 comment:

  1. Dan, you're betraying your inner opera geek. I think you meant OTHELLO and not Otello! :-)

    I'm so thrilled to stay in the loop while on this truly once in a lifetime journey.

    Godspeed, my friend!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete