Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Critters

Oh, are there a lot of critters around both large and small here in Sierra Leone!  Dogs are the largest though this mutt breed is mostly skinny, mangy, and undersized by American standards.  They are all completely disregarded by the local populace (no pampering here), have open sores and wounds, and are constantly plopping down in the middle of a path to dig at some flea or other infestation that is bugging them.  It’s odd to see them run freely and even stranger to see the males with testicles…we are so accustomed to on-leash, neutered animals.  But beyond the constant ant problem, the lizards running unchecked both inside the house and out, and gnats that invade as the lights go on at night, critters abound and most of the following, I try to avoid at all costs.

My first, and probably greatest, concern in coming to Africa was the fear of the anopheles mosquito
that carries dreaded malaria.  I’ve been diligent in taking my weekly prophylaxis and cover every night with my mosquito netting.  The truth is, though, I’ve only seen two or three mosquitoes since I landed and, to the best of my knowledge, not been bit yet.  The females, who actually infect the host, do the damage only between dusk and dawn and though I’ve used my repellent occasionally, I’ve thus far found it pretty unnecessary.  We are heading into the dry season but once the rainy season reappears in the spring there will be plenty of breeding pools and I may change my tune quickly.  Our PCMO (Peace Corps Medical Officer) said, in truth, the meds really do most of the work with this disease.  The reality is, we all will probably get malaria but if we continue with the meds we’ll avoid the symptoms.  That is why we continue taking the Mefloquine for a month after we are back in the United States which gives us time to work it all out of our systems.
At the top of the list of other little critters we need to watch out is the tapeworm. 
 
 
We were emphatically warned to cook all meat thoroughly if we eat meat at all…so far I’m a little gun-shy and doing well with my Diet for a Small Planet fare of beans and rice (and other variations).  Another cruddy critter comes in the form of hookworms
 
so I avoid “fecally contaminated soil” as it is cited in our Peace Corps medical manual…like I would rush toward fecally contaminated soil?  I do wear shoes or flip-flops all the time…just in case!  As well, if I were to feel the urge to jump in the river that goes under the road about half-way to the highway from campus, I’ll think twice due to the Bulinus snails! 
They can, and often do, carry schistosomiasis which is a parasitic disease caused by a blood fluke that is absorbed through the skin.  The last bug to stay away from is the Tumba fly
or Mango worm.  They lay their eggs in the soil and sand, or in clothing that is laid in the sun to dry.  They burrow into your skin and develop into worms that wiggle around and drive the host mad.  Though they present no huge health problem, getting rid of them is said to really be tedious.  So, if we elect to have someone do our laundry we need to be careful it isn’t washed in the river (snails) and laid out to dry on infected ground.  OR you can just make sure to iron your clothes thoroughly to kill the larvae before they attack…hmm, I don’t have an iron yet!  I’ll brook my own clothes, I think and save a few Leones.
The last critter I’ve noticed here comes in the form of slippery, slithery snakes. 
Well, I’ve not seen a live one but Sierra Leone is said to be filled with ‘em!  We have vipers, adders, mambas, and cobras and are warned to stay out of tall grasses or overgrown paths for fear of confronting one of these beasties.  My pal, Philip, went home the other night to get something (he lives almost next door) but when he came back, he said he’s just killed a black cobra that ran right out in the path in front of him.  Here is a picture of what is left of him…Philip is my hero…and I’m watching the ground a “bit” more carefully, now, too!
So what lesson do we learn from all this boys and girls?  Stay on the path and wear your shoes on during the daylight hours, cover up at night, avoid water, soil, meat, and…er, maybe I should just be wary and not worry so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment